Effective on 28 January, 2021.
1. ABOUT THIS POLICY
This policy sets out the categories of personal information we may collect from you or other sources when you make use of our website at www.edukite.co.za or our mobile application Edukite Learning App, enter, or apply to enter into agreements with us.This policy further sets out how we process that personal information.
By entering into any agreement with us, or by applying to enter any such agreement, or by using our website or mobile application, you automatically agree to the terms as set out in this policy and are presumed to have familiarised yourself with same.
We subscribe to the principles, outlined in Section 51 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act and POPI , which govern your right to having your personal information kept private. We briefly outline these principles below:
- We shall only collect, collate, process and store (‘use’) your personal information with your consent which is obtained by signing up to the mobile application or through accessing the website, unless otherwise legally required to do so, and will only use such information for the lawful purpose for which it is required as set out in this policy.
- We shall disclose in writing, upon request, the specific purpose for which we use, collect and store your personal information. We will also keep a record of that personal information and the specific purpose for which we have used it.
We will not use your personal information for any purpose, other than that which we disclosed to you herein, unless you give us your express written permission to do so, or unless we are permitted/required to do so, by law.
Personal information will only be retained for as long as necessary for the purpose it was collected and in line with regulations governing the duration information should be kept.
If you have any questions about this policy or do not agree with it, please contact us directly at email@example.com.
Your continued use of the website or mobile application after a notice is published about changes to this policy shall mean that the collection, use and sharing of your personal data is subject to the amended policy as of its effective date.
We understand the value of your personal information and therefore will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration, access or disclosure by the following:-
- Your personal information is stored in databases that have built-in safeguards and firewalls to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of your information.
- We constantly monitor the latest internet developments to ensure our systems evolve as required.
- We also test our systems regularly to ensure that our security mechanisms are up to date.
- We make use of electronic and computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption
- We only authorise access to information to those employees who require it to fulfil their designated responsibilities.
- We are committed to appropriate technical and other security measures in line with acceptable industry standards to safeguard your information.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure. However, we do not make any warranties or representations that content shall be entirely safe or secure, however we are subject to POPI, with which we comply.
4. COLLECTING YOUR INFORMATION
- “Personal information” (referred to herein, simply as “information”) includes any personal information as defined in POPI as information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. Further to the POPI Act, we also consider all addresses including residential, postal and email addresses and change of names to be included in the definition.
We collect the following information about/from you:
- Information you provide to us through our application or on our website;
- Information you provide through other communications with us;
- From third party sources where allowed to do so in law.
When you use our website, we automatically receive and may record information on our server logs from your browser which may from time to time, include your location, IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested.
- This is statistical data about browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual at the time. We may also obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies enable us to improve our service to you, estimate our audience size and usage patterns, store information about your preferences and recognise you when you return to our website.
When you use the mobile application, we automatically receive and may record information on our server logs from the mobile application which may from time to time, include your location, IP address, the content that you access.
- This is statistical data content usage and patterns and does not identify any individual at the time.
5. USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
5.1. Information that we collect
We may collect data that is voluntarily provided by you, or some data that is collected through our systems.
We may for example collect and use the following information about you:
- First name, Surname,Email address and Cell phone number;
- Gender and Date of Birth;
- School, City or Town;
- User provided info such as favourite subjects
- Educational identifying factors such as age or school grade;
- IP address or cookie information;
- Android ID of your device, device make and model, operating system and version
- Usage patterns, timing and frequency
and any other information which we reasonably need to perform our duties in pursuance of any obligation that we may have with you, make decisions about you or fulfil our regulatory or other business and/or contractual obligations.
We may collect any device specific hardware IDs such as IMEI number or MAC Address.
We may share information about you:
- with employees and/or contractors in accordance with their employment relationships with us;
- with related parties including any parent companies, subsidiaries or subsidiaries of parent companies;
- with regulatory and governmental authorities, ombudsmen, or other authorities, including tax authorities, where we are requested by them to do so; and
- with any other third party if allowed to do so in law.
We will share user data with our appointed video streaming service partner company. The data that shall be shared are IP addresses and a non-identifiable system created username for each user. The purpose of sharing information is to discourage the misuse of our property through screen capturing and posting on any other forum or site.
We may disclose your personal information to our service providers who are involved in the delivery of products or services. We have agreements in place to ensure their compliance with the privacy and data handling requirements as required by POPI.
When we contract with third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that personal information that we remain responsible for, is kept secure.
We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
- perform our duties in pursuance of any obligation that we may have to you in respect of any of our products;
- operate and manage any agreement or relationship with us or correspondence you may have with us;
- carry out, monitor and analyse our business;
- to confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised user for security purposes;
- contact you by email, SMS, letter, telephone or in any other way about our products and services as allowed for in law, unless you tell us that you prefer not to receive marketing communications;
- to form a view of you as an individual and to identify, develop or improve products or services that may be of interest to you;
- carry out market research, business and statistical analysis;
- perform other administrative and operational purposes including the testing of systems and development of new features;
- comply with our regulatory or other obligations;
- for purposes of customer identification, customer support or troubleshooting;
- carry out any other reasonable business operation considering our business and the relationship between the parties;
- to identify and allocate or suggest relevant educational content suitable for you as the user;
- to identify and suggest other users with which you can virtually interact or challenge.
Note that, as permitted by the ECT Act, we may use personal information collected to compile profiles for statistical purposes. No information contained in the profiles or statistics will be able to be linked to any specific user.
Your information may also be used for other purposes for which you give your permission or where we are permitted to do so in law or it is in the public interest to disclose the information.
You may on reasonable grounds object to the processing of your personal information, after which we undertake not to continue to process such information, except as provided for in law.
6. ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION
You have a right to access certain personal records we hold about you. Requests can be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will need a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.
Please note that any such access request may be subject to a payment of a legally allowable fee.
We want to make sure that your information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove any information that you think is inaccurate and you can do so by sending us an e-mail to email@example.com.
7. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
As a legally registered private company, this policy is governed and regulated by the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
Due to the nature of our service offering, we may legally process or collect your data both inside and outside the Republic of South Africa and transfer same across borders.
We draw your attention to the fact that such country will not have identical data protection laws, which may be more or less restrictive than those of the Republic of South Africa.
Edukite shall be the data controller of all personal data provided to or collected by Edukite, however Edukite’s parent company, Edukite Learning Services Pvt Ltd with its registered address at 601-602, Iscon Atria 2, Gotri Road, Vadodara, Gujarat 390021, India, shall be the system operator.